History & Lifestyle
The community of Greenwood, Nova Scotia is a more recent addition to the Annapolis Valley. The area was only a small hamlet or sorts just south of the Kingston Railway Station. Kingston is another community located just outside of Greenwood.
In the early 1940’s, at the height of the 2nd world, some small aircraft operations were setup by the Royal Air Force. RAF Station Greenwood took over some local farmland under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. This small aerodrome was taken over by the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1944 and was renamed to RCAF Station Greenwood. After a few consolidations in the Canadian Air Force, the current name 14 Wing Greenwood was established in 1997.
From the 1970s through to the 2000’s, the community of Greenwood exploded in population as air force bases across Canada were consolidated. Most of the non-military housing for the community is located on the outskirts of town and most homes near the town centre are occupied by military families. The current population of Greenwood sits at just above 5,400 residents.
the community of Greenwood offers numerous services and amenities and is also the location of the Greenwood Mall, the largest shopping mall in the Annapolis Valley. The mall was renovated in 2015 to accommodate a new department store.
Here are some of the local amenities Greenwood has to offer:
- Restaurants – Within the community of Greenwood there is a range of dining options. If you need to grab a quick bite then you can advantage of available fast food establishments such as KFC, McDonalds, Subway, or Dairy Queen. If you want to grab food and drinks, the Oaken Barrel Pub is a perfect option. Greenwood is also home to a sushi restaurant, a bakery/cafe and pizza parlours.
- Shops – The community of Greenwood is home to the largest shopping mall in the Annapolis Valley. In the shopping Mall you will find popular retail chains like Pseudio and Eclipse. Roo’s Playhouse is a family entertainment centre boasting plenty of activities for children’s birthday parties or just a day out with friends. Inside the mall you will also find a Home Hardware for all your renovation needs at your new home. The Greenwood mall is also home to a Walmart department store so you won’t have to leave town for basic necessities. Outside the mall you will find a few boutique shops as well as a pharmacy.
- Schools – The community of Greenwood is home to the Dwight Ross elementary School as well as École Rose-des-Vents – which is a francophone elementary school. There is middle school located in the neighbouring town. There are two high schools available to students in Greenwood West Kings High School and Middleton High School, depending on where in town your home is located will dictate which high school will be more ideal for your child.
- Recreation and Active Living – The Community of Greenwood takes advantage of its relationship with the Canadian Air Force Base which offers plenty of recreation opportunities for both military and non-military members. There are soccer fields and a baseball filed, as well as a hockey rink for the public to enjoy. At 14 Wing Greenwood there is a community centre which houses a fitness centre. If you just want to get outside and enjoy some fresh air, Greenwood has many hiking and biking trails that can be enjoyed year around if you own a pair of snowshoes.
- Transportation – You can find the community of Greenwood, Nova Scotia just off Highway 101, it is about an hour and a half to 2 hour drive from Halifax from Halifax and is accessible by Kings Transit.
Buying a Home in Greenwood, Nova Scotia
Wether you are looking for your first family home or looking to retire in a vibrant community, Greenwood has both character and modern properties to help meet your lifestyle and budget. The Annapolis Valley Real Estate Group can help you find the perfect home for you and your family in Greenwood, or the town of your choice in the Annapolis Valley. We can provide you with in-depth property details on Greenwood Real Estate, point out desirable features you may not notice, and identify potential concerns you may have overlooked.
As your REALTOR®, we are by your side every step of the way. When you find a home you want, we’ll prepare and present the offer, and negotiate skillfully on your behalf, so you get that property at the lowest price possible.
Below you’ll find some of our most recent properties for sale in Greenwood. Visit our featured listings page for more!
Greenwood, Nova Scotia Real Estate
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.