History & Lifestyle
New Minas was founded in the early 1700s by Acadians from the Grand Pre area. It was the largest settlement, known as Les Mines or Minas at the time, and named after the French copper mines explored at Cape d’Or at the entrance to the Minas Basin in the 1600s.
Over the past ten years, New Minas has experienced a commercial boom which has seen many large retail outlets set up shop, while pre-existing retailers and many others have rebuilt into larger venues.
With its expanding population and commercial shopping, New Minas has become a hub of activity. Even though its in a more urban area with busy streets, New Minas still has a small-town feel, with friendly people and lots of room to grow. Here are some of the local amenities New Minas has to offer:
- Shopping – You can often satisfy all of your shopping needs in New Minas, saving you the trip to into Halifax. In recent years, many new department stores have moved into Granite Drive, next to the County Fair Mall and the new exit off Highway 101, 11A. Here you’ll find trendy clothes at Winners, home decor at HomeSense, arts and crafts supplies at Micheals, home renovation and improved products at Home Depot, and much more. Throughout the town, you’ll also find other large retail and grocery stores as well as boutique shops for the more unique items on your shopping list.
- Recreation – Enjoy a night out watching the latest movies at Cineplex Cinema or catch the big game with your friends at Boston Pizza. New Minas also hosts new events happening in the community that you don’t want to miss. Food truck rallies during the summer, fireworks during New Minas Days festival, even local music and art shows at the Loius Millet Center, just to name a few.
- Restaurants – New Minas has a great mixture of restaurants suitable whether you’re on-the-go, or out with your family. From your favourite chains to small independent restaurants serving international cuisine, New Minas has something for everyone.
- Schools – New Minas residents have access to two schools operating under the Annapolis Valley Regional School Board. New Minas Elementary School is one of only a few elementary schools in the province offering a French emersion program starting in the primary grade. Evangeline Middle School brings in kids from not only New Minas but other nearby communities as well.
- Active Living – The recently built Louis Millet centre offers a number of daily activities and classes, including yoga, badminton, basketball, and plenty more for people of all ages. Nearby is Lockhart Ryan Park, where you’ll find all sorts of places for your favourite activities, including a beach volleyball court, multiple basketball courts, soccer fields, a frisbee golf course, and a playground for the kids.
- Transportation – You can find New Minas along Highway 1, which is connected to Highway 101 at two nearby exits on each end of the town and another near to Granite Drive at the town’s core. New Minas is also approximately an hour’s drive from Halifax International Airport and Halifax, Atlantic Canada’s largest city.
Buying a Home in New Minas
In New Minas, Nova Scotia, you’ll find both new properties as well as more affordable housing compared other nearby communities. The Annapolis Valley Real Estate Group can help you find the perfect home for you and your family in New Minas or the town of your choice in the Annapolis Valley. We can provide you with in-depth property details on New Minas Real Estate, point out desirable features you may not notice and identify potential concerns you may have overlooked.
As your REALTOR®, we are by your side every step of the way. When you find a home you want, we’ll prepare and present the offer, and negotiate skillfully on your behalf, so you get that property at the lowest price possible.
Below you’ll find some of our most recent properties for sale in New Minas. Visit our featured listings page for more!
New Minas Real Estate
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.